Q. I turned 14 years old in mid December. want to be a geologist with a very thorough understanding of geophysics, geochemistry and volcanology. My ultimate goal is to be an astronaut and live on Mars for a few years (probably with Mars One). So I need to start studying up so I'll have a lot of the material covered when I start college. Preferably books for the iPad.
A. Be careful, my young friend. Consider this... had you expressed this desire at age 14 in 1954, and received guidance on the best text, here's what would have happened.
1. If you studied your text diligently to learn all you could you'd enter college in 1958 knowing a lot of geology.
2. You would have graduated in 1962 ready for graduate school "knowing" a lot of geology.
3. You would find out in grad school,from 1962 through 1967 that in those few years EVERYTHING had changed. More than a hundred years of accepted geological and geophysical dogma would have been turned over in favor of Plate Tectonics.. OOPS!
Awkward moment.
Tell you what... instead of trying to teach yourself geology, why not gain field experience and learn the lingo and the rock/mineral types and the general ideas by joining your local geological club or society. ANY nearby museum should have such opportunities.
You're barely in high school; dial it back just a bit. Save specialization until 1st semester Junior year of college.
Is is worth getting an Ipad 2?
Q. I don't have a macbook or the Original ipad. And really want an ipad but want to know if you like yours? I have enough money and have been planning on buying one for awhile but no one ever has the, in stock.
A. I pads are very nice accessories to a computer, but they are NOT a substitute for one. IF you have a desktop and a laptop I DO suggest an ipad. If you don't have a "real" computer, you really need to own one of those first unless you're a grandma or a little junior high schooler.
I got one free from work, and used it for a few weeks. My daughter now has it. For her, carrying an ipad is like carrying a designer purse. She does like the looks she gets carrying it, but even she feels it is not enough computer for her.
If you have a smart phone, you do not need an ipad. An ipad is basically just a smart phone with a nice screen. It uses a phone processor, about the same amount of memory and storage as a phone and uses a phone operating system. The ipad2 is just a LITTLE better than an iphone4 but the iphone5 due this summer is virtually the SAME as an ipad2. SAME hardware except for the big screen.
Which would be better for college an iPad or Macbook?
Q. I just graduated high school and got about $1450 in graduation money. A few friends of mine who have been in college for a few years now tell me that I don't need a laptop much less a Macbook, but I've always kinda wanted one. I used an iPad for my junior year in high school and while it could do some of the things I needed (like write papers) but it was a bit annoying when trying to use the touch keyboard or even a bluetooth keyboard. Also when researching stuff, I could only use one app at a time so I didn't have a lot of flexibility.
Another option I have is to go with a cheaper Windows laptop and get an iPad, but I don't know if I really want one. I've always had my eyes on a Macbook and I have a considerably powerful desktop so gaming at extra power aren't really something I need. But if I go with an iPad I'll have some extra money left over.
Either way, I won't make a decision until at least WWDC 13 but some input would be great.
A. Ok first of all, DO NOT JUST GET A IPAD DON'T LISTEN TO YOUR FRIENDS!!! Ok now then I think you should get a good pc laptop and buy a iPad later. Even though I love apple, their macs just look really nice , their CPUs aren't as good as the pc laptops for the same price. Asus , toshiba, lenovo, hp, dell, are all good laptop brands , avoid acer, compact, gateway, go onto ebay or newegg where you'll find alot of deals . If you have money left over then buy a iPad. Intel i5 and up should be good
Good luck
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Title : What are some good textbooks from which I can learn geology?
Description : Q. I turned 14 years old in mid December. want to be a geologist with a very thorough understanding of geophysics, geochemistry and volcano...