• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Tablet Answers

Your online source for your tablet problems.

  • Home
  • Apple
    • iPad
    • iPad 2
    • iPad 3
    • iPad 4
    • iPad Mini
    • iPad Apps
    • iPad Accessories
  • Amazon Kindle
    • Kindle
    • Kindle Touch
    • Kindle DX
    • Kindle Paperwhite
    • Kindle Fire
    • Kindle HD
    • Kindle Apps
    • Kindle Books
    • Kindle Accessories
  • Samsung
    • Galaxy Tab
    • Galaxy Note
    • Smartphones
    • Accessories
  • Operating System
    • Android
    • iOS
    • Windows Mobile
Home » iPad external battery » Charging an iPad in flight?

Charging an iPad in flight?

Q. I have an ipad with the external Bad Elf waas capable GPS chip. Works excellent in showing with fairly accurate precision where you are at on your enroute/VFR charts. However, having that chip on and having maximum light output from the iPad display (needed due to the sun and glare) drains my battery very quickly. Therefore, I'd like to use a USB car charger to charge the unit similar to this one ( http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-reVIVE-Dual-Charger-iPad/dp/B003N7NO4Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top ). My question is, can these chargers draw so much power from general aviation aircraft DC receptacles such that they can destroy either the avionics or the iPad? I'm getting about $18,000 in new avionics installed so I'm very cautious...........

A. The Ipad really doesn't use much current to charge, USB ports normally only supply 500ma to 1amp of power and that is at 5volts so you won't be using very much from a 12v source (or 24v).

Your issue may be finding the right adapter to allow charging at the "voltage" you have available.

Some GA aircraft are 24v and will need a circuit to reduce that to 12v (as most cars have) in order to even plug in a USB charger. An aircraft "DC" receptacle will usually be at the voltage available from the battery/charging system so check to see what that voltage in your airplane may be. Over voltage to the USB charger will burn it out rather quickly. (Like the second they are connected.)

I have been using Fujitsu and other tablets connected to the 12v buss with no issues whatever. Those pull much more power than an IPad. Its not the power available that is the issue in an aircraft, its the voltage that is used when charging a laptop or tablet computer.

Original Question

IPad 3 16GB wifi VS. iPad 2 32gb Wifi?
Q. Is the IPad 3 worth it?

The pricing is very high but you pay for the quality I guess.. I am an Apple fan and I had experience with many products from Apple©

I was wondering should I just get the IPad 2 32GB wifi model or the IPad 3 16gb Wifi Model?

Price range is $500.00 at the most..



Please answer these questions for the full credit and 10pts.



If answered IPad 2:

- is the iPad 2 display good
-How much will the iPad 2 32gb wifi cost
-from 1-10 what would u rate the iPad 2
-from 1-10 what is your experience w/ iPad 2


------------------------------------------------------------

I answered iPad 3:

- is 16gb large enough space
-is the retina display upgrade a huge ........enhancement
- will siri be a feature if so is it cool

A. If it was me, and the iPad 3 16GB did NOT come with an SD memory slot, I would go for the 32GB iPad 2. For me it would be the ability to view movies, stream music, etc when I did NOT have WiFi access and knew I wasn't going to have it for several hours/days.

Knowing you could plan ahead and store several hours worth of video and music on one or more SD cards. So as long as you had power or an external battery to charge the iPad you would be set until you did get into a WiFi access area.

And where would I be without WiFi? On the road, camping, small planes, at home/work/school during a blackout due to weather, at which point I really would not care much for Siri or anything else internet dependent. <wink>.

As for cost, the iPad 2 will of course cost less once the iPad 3 comes out. So personally would wait until the 3 was out, to make my choice once the prices start falling.

Since I don't own an iPad, but have used several that belong to co-workers and family/friends, for several days at a time, I would rate it at a steady 8, not perfect, since it does not have features I personal consider a must have.

Siri while interesting, still needs a click or two to make it work, and to keep it active. Be nice if you could use a BT headset or leave voice commands on until you turned them off. But in it's current state, it's really only interesting for short periods of time. I would not solely use Siri, over any current type in search engine options just yet, even if you could use it on any device or computer.

Original Question

Would a iPad suit my needs?
Q. I'm a soon-to-be college freshman. I use a computer several hours a day, mostly for homework and internet browsing. I do a lot of typing on the computer with word processing programs (Microsoft Word), mostly for essays and a novel I'm writing. My laptop is currently dying a slow and painful death, and I'm considering replacing it with an iPad or similar tablet device. I'm attracted to an iPad's portability.
Does in i-pad have typing/ word-processing capabilities?
I can get used to a funny key-pad on an iPad screen (my current laptop has a keyboard about half the normal size), but is it possible to connect an iPad to an external keyboard?
Can you store files on an i-pad without having to connect it to the internet?
Can you print from an iPad?
Can you connect a iPad up to a home computer network with the other computers in the house?
How much battery does an iPad have? and is it possible to have the battery replaced if the battery breaks, without having to pay an exorbitant fee to a maintenance guy?
What I really want to know, is it a good idea to replace my notebook laptop with an iPad, or should I just get another notebook?

A. An iPad would be perfect! You can have a typing program similar to Microsoft Word on the app store most are free some arent but the programs you need(I forget the names) are about $10 and you can buy an iTunes gift card at WAL MARTor another main store. You can get an external keyboard from apple just ask and they will give you one. And you can store files without wifi since that word program will save it. You can print from an ipad but it has to be wireless printer off the internet and be AirPrint capable( A printer that any apple products can print from) they are easy to find. You can connext an iPad to a home network and the battery will last 10 hours easy some have done 14. The battery will last decades but if the odd reason it doesnt call Apple they will ship a box to you and you put the iPad in the box and they fix it 100% free. The iPad has great games too! If youre bored then you have games, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter all on your iPad and two great cameras for videochatting. I would totally get it! Hope I helped!

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on Thursday, April 3, 2014 - Rating: 4.5
Title : Charging an iPad in flight?
Description : Q. I have an ipad with the external Bad Elf waas capable GPS chip. Works excellent in showing with fairly accurate precision where you are...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter

0 Response to "Charging an iPad in flight?"

Post a Comment

Newer Post
Older Post
Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • How do you change the lock screen wallpaper on my Kindle Fire HD?
    Q. I have a Kindle Fire HD, it doesn't have any of those "daily deals" or other ads on it. But i cant seem to find a way to c...
  • samsung galaxy note wont shut off after plugged into wall charger?
    Q. anytime i plug my phone in to charge after shutting it off it will turn itself back on but it continuously vibrates about a low battery ...
  • does samsung galaxy s3 have flash player?
    Q. does it have flash player? do i need to download it or is it pre-installed? how can i install it? if it doesn't then why because i ...
  • does samsung galaxy s3 have flash player?
    Q. does it have flash player? do i need to download it or is it pre-installed? how can i install it? if it doesn't then why because i ...
  • how to upgrade samsung galaxy mini 2 gt-s6500 to jellybean?
    Q. Please provide a full step by step guide to upgrade samsung galaxy mini 2 s6500 to android jellybean And I also wants to know what is th...
  • Samsung Galaxy tab 2 10.1 won't charge?
    Q. Hello, I'm having a serious problem with my Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1, it just won't charge. When I put the plug in there's ...
  • Does Samsung Galaxy S3 mini has Corning Gorilla Glass?
    Q. Also, what kind of screen does Galaxy S3 mini has? Glass or plastic? Thanks in advance! A. Based on GSMArena.com's summary, no it d...
  • Does the samsung galaxy s3 need screen protector?
    Q. I just took the screen protector off because I couldn't take it anymore. I got the anti reflection one and it make it look so bad. A...
  • How do i download apps on my kindle fire hd without a credit card?
    Q. I got a kindle fire hd for christmas and i want to download free apps, but when i click download it says i have to do this 1 click purch...
  • Can I connect the Samsung Galaxy s3 to Virgin mobile?
    Q. I'm planning to buy the Samsung Galaxy s3 from Sprint, however I'm using virgin mobile since its cheaper. Since Virgin mobile i...
Copyright © 2012 Tablet Answers - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger